Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas traditions.

It's the most wonderful time of year once again!

It's not the thought of ripping the wrappers off my presents; I'm 23 going on 24, pretty much grew out of the thrill of crawling out of bed in the middle of the night and under the Christmas tree in search of the box with my name on it. It's not that people are a little bit more kinder, giving or joyous -- they aren't. The shopping frenzy is becoming more like waddling through a war zone. And it's not winter either (not that I've got to worry about that here in Singapore). I love the snow but definitely not a fan of the cold.

Nonetheless, I'm keenly aware of how super duper zuper merry this festive season makes me! I still get mesmerised walking down the streets seeing everything sparkle so prettily with my favourite fairy lights.

It's odd, isn't it? I'm a lot older; I hate shopping with the crowd; I could sing "Do you want to build a snowman?" till I croak but I ain't going to build Olaf when it doesn't snow, and yet, downright hyped for Christmas every single year. I believe it's the traditions of this season that keeps me excited. And I absolutely can't wait to start our own little traditions with my other half (when I eventually find himyear in and year out to make the holidays even more special.


Maybe it's just me, but the house doesn't feel like Christmas at all without the Christmas tree. I've always pictured how cool it'd be to go Christmas tree picking with my love while it's snowing. What better way to kick start the festive season right?! But then again, since we're living in a sunny little island, heading to the malls and choosing from a range of artificial trees would suffice too. After all, it's the company that counts!

When hunting for the perfect tree, look out for a extraordinary tree topper, one that represents a favourite memory/vacation of the both of you. Or it could be simply just be a tree topper that you two really love. 'Cause a tree topper magically completes the Christmas tree, like icing on the cake, and nothing beats completing the tree every year with someone who completes you in every way.


Once that's done, it's time to shop for presents and put them under the tree! All those years when you were single, you had to crack your brains coming up with a Christmas gift list and doing the shopping alone. Imagine all the fun you'd have snuggling up to the warmth of your favourite person and brainstorming gift ideas together. Also, you'll never have to lug those gifts home and painstakingly wrap them all by yourself ever again. No wonder they say two is better than one!

While the both of you shop for everyone else, it'll be really sweet to help each other strike an item off the wish list. So make a list and send it to the North Pole for Santa your better half!


Christmas is all about celebrating the spirit of giving -- both to those we love and those less fortunate, find a cause that the two of you strongly believe in and contribute within your means. Otherwise, round-up old/unwanted clothes and donate them to a homeless shelter or pick out toys and give them to a children's hospital. Let's share the love and give back during the holiday season. You'd be surprised at how something small can go a long way. 


I'm never contempt with buying and sending out generic greeting cards 'cause I think they lack sincerity. That can only mean one thing -- time to pull out those glue guns, scissors, all things fancy and glitter-y. Since we can't be out building Frosty the snowman and making snow angels in the backyard, there's no better way to spend time indoors with your significant other (and of course a cup of hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows) hand making Christmas cards for loved ones! Let the creative juices flow!


Like log cakes and turkey, Christmas cookies have become a tradition. Baking cute little gingerbread men or Christmas themed cookies is an excellent way to get your man off the couch and into the kitchen so both of you can have some quality time. Oh, and did I mention that it could potentially start a flour war too? It's messy but nothing the joyous season can't handle!

Those Christmas cookies would make great snacks whilst the both of you curl up in bed at night, watching Christmas shows such as The Nutcracker.


I love hosting parties and it's something I see my future husband and me doing often. We've seen our mothers slaving over hot stoves and cooking up a storm in preparation of a scrumptious Christmas dinner, so it's time to return the favour.

Although cooking isn't rocket science, it can get quite tedious. Either way, the entire process from planning out the dinner menu to grocery shopping to cooking to laying the tables will be an enjoyable one with your other half. At the end of the day, the bulging bellies and happy smiles of your loved ones will make all that work worth it.


Being a Catholic, it'd mean the world to me if someday I find someone special who loves Christmas as much as I do or more, and who'll attend midnight mass with my family and me on Christmas Eve. That'd undeniably be one of the best blessings from God!


Last but not the least, Christmas is definitely the season to pucker up and be mistletoe ready with the love of your life! Ultimately, it's a time honoured tradition not to be skipped.

Photos by Ing
Editing by yours truly

"He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree."
- Roy L. Smith

 photo f60ffb83-5a2a-48b4-a5c7-8c11e00d3d4a_zps00748fdb.jpg
Instagram @clarabellefaithng
Ask.fm @clarabellefaithng

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!