Saturday, January 16, 2016

One beat. One dance. One vision.






















Country: Philippines, Cebu
Location: Cebu City

Although I've always had an Infant Jesus, or more commonly known as Santo Nino, statuette at the altar in my room, I never knew that it was one that holds so much significance till last year, when I attended Sinulog in Cebu, the Queen City of the South.

Renowned as one of the grandest festivals in Philippines, Sinulog is the recognition of their conversion from pagan beliefs to Christianity. It is a lively celebration that lasts for 9 days and leads up to the Sinulog Grand Parade that is held on the third Sunday of January, every year. Millions from all over the world flock to Cebu to witness the grandeur of this street dance parade that runs for 12 hours or more!

When I was preparing for my trip, I wasn't really sure what to expect 'cause I've never attended a religious festival even though going on a pilgrimage has always been on my bucket list. Sure, I've heard things like "crazy crowd," "partying all day," "face paint/henna," "revelers wearing Sinulog hats," "singing and dancing with Santo Nino figurines," etc. But none of that prepared me for the sheer size of its entirety. There's only one word to describe...... MASSIVE! Nothing quite as compared to being there physically, soaking up the atmosphere -- street dancers all clad in resplendent costumes, vibrantly decorated floats, drums, trumpets and native gongs blaring to a rhythmic beat. It was super hard not to dance to the catchy tune of the Sinulog song! Hear it for yourself here and here. And of course I checked another item off my bucket list when I took a helicopter to get an aerial view of the entire parade!

Sinulog for the 36th year running is happening tomorrow and I wish with all my might that I could be there to join the street party. Nevertheless, Viva Pit Senyor!

Photos by Ing & yours truly
Editing by yours truly

"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen." -Benjamin Disraeli

With love,
 photo f60ffb83-5a2a-48b4-a5c7-8c11e00d3d4a_zps00748fdb.jpg
Clarabelle Faith

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!